Monday, July 17, 2006

The Devil Wears Pink - An Analysis Of Little Girl’s Fashions

We got a package in the mail from my mom on Saturday. It was addressed to Cassie and Sam. Inside were a few small toys and a pink dress for each girl.

Why am I not surprised?

Cass is running around with her pink dress, telling me “It’s beautiful!” She can’t wait to wear it. At only six weeks of age, Sam doesn’t have any opinions yet on her wardrobe, but I can foresee the day when she prances about with her clothing, telling me how much she adores her new pink outfit from Grandmama.

If you look in either child’s closet, you will see an endless, monochromatic row of little pink dresses. They come in all shades of pink, from delicate pastel to magenta, but they are all pink. I think Cassie used to have a few dresses that are some other color, like blue or white or purple, but I could never get her to wear those. She’s always got to wear the pink ones. In fact, she wears pink dresses so much I had to institute a rule - no dresses, pink or otherwise, on play dates. It’s just one of those things. I think playing, especially the rough and tumble preschooler kind, is best done in pants and a t-shirt. And besides, I need a break from pink every now and then, otherwise I’ll go blind.

My own wardrobe includes only one pink shirt. That’s it. Everything else is brown, blue, black or red. I have an impressive collection of baggy black t-shirts and a few prized cherry red microfit tops. As for dresses, I think I have two left in the closet somewhere. Haven’t worn either one in ages though.

Cassie is in her room right now, picking out clothing. If I ask her which outfit she intends to wear, I’m pretty sure of the answer I’ll get.

It’ll be the pink one.

1 comment:

mllnclly79 said...

I'm totally with you on that. All my little 'un has is varying shades of pink with the occasional pastel blue, greeen, and purple. Even her sheets and blankets are pink. I must admit this is my fault because I'm the one who picked this stuff out, but I let her choose our of the closet and she usually goes for the most frilly dress in there.

The best thing about it is that it makes laundry so darn easy. We have enough to do 1 entire load of pink clothes.