Monday, July 27, 2009

Move It Mama Monday! Off Kilter and Out of Sorts

I had thought last week was going to be a better week. After last Monday's post about getting more sleep, I had promised myself I would do exactly just that - get to bed early, get up early, get my work outs in, be productive, etc. In fact, the week started off pretty good.


Then the rest of the week went to hell in a handbasket. Unexpected stress from an unexpected source showed up and knocked me completely out of that good groove I had going. I ended up staying up way too late on Monday night, and then suffered through insomnia most of that night, which completely screwed my getting up early Tuesday morning. I was so frazzled from this stress that I was out of sorts the rest of the week. Determined to somehow get back on track, I dragged myself and the kids to the dojo on Tuesday morning. I wanted to get there early rather than late, so I spent all morning packing lunches, gear, weapons, etc. and we headed out as soon as I had the car loaded up. Well, we were early all right... 45 minutes early! We stayed and worked out and Cassie got her class done, but I was so tired and out of it by the time my class started that I headed home. The rest of the day wasn't much better. To decompress, Hubster and I stayed up to watch Stranger Than Fiction. We loved the movie, but once again were up way to late. I slept late the next morning too. By then my whole routine was in shambles, so I spent the next few days scrambling to get stuff done. I wore myself out Thursday scraping vinyl linoleum off the kitchen floor, then chiseling away the glue and backing left behind. I was so sore after that, I slept way late Friday morning.


I decided to force myself back on schedule Saturday, and have done well since then. I've been more productive this weekend than I was all last week. But I still feel the effects of being off kilter. It showed up in my karate class Saturday morning where I suddenly developed three left feet and several extra (and quite useless) thumbs. I felt like my body was fighting itself the entire class. Then my knees ached so badly the rest of that day that I pretty much retired to bed for the afternoon, slathering on the Ben Gay and popping the Alieve like no one's business. Yesterday morning, I got up early again, felt better, but still wasn't back to my old self. After 40 minutes of Dance Dance Revolution, I tried to do some Wii Fit Yoga. I've never had worse scores. I was just completely off kilter.


So this week wiill be dedicated to getting myself back on schedule and getting back in tune with my center of balance and coordination. I've reworked my daily schedule and my exercise plan to help with that, making sure I get enough, but not too much, exercise. Meanwhile I'm going to start back up with my physical therapy to see if I can fix my knees. I really don't want to suffer through another afternoon like I did on Saturday.


So that's where we're at right now, just trying to get our act back together. We'll see how I'm doing next week.

No comments: