Thursday, September 03, 2009

Artsy Fartsy Thursday - Knitting!

This is a semi-regular post that I do intend to do, as I have a huge love for all things crafty, and finally may have some time to do some crafty things. My most recent venture into the world of the Artsy Fartsy has been in the field of knitting. A friend of mine, Mich, got me started in late June. I had been bemoaning the fact that Princess' teacher told me she didn't concentrate as well as she should in school, and Mich offered to teach Princess to knit. She thought it might help Princess learn to focus on a complex task, and give her something fun to do with her hands.


Well, you know if Princess is going to learn how to knit, I was going to have to learn too. Otherwise, how else was I going to help her out when she got stuck? My mom sent Princess a knitting kit, complete with a set of needles, yarn, and basic instruction book. I went out to the local craft store and picked up some needles and yarn of my own. The end result of this is that I have since created a pot holder, a belt,, a dish cloth (with a skull knitted into it!), and now a pair of wrist warmers. I'm most proud of this last accomplishment. The wrist warmers are the first knitted thing I've made for myself, and they won't be the last.



I love that I can make clothing items for myself. I'm very particular about how I dress, though you might not guess it from looking at me. But I flatter myself to think I cultivate a certain sort of goth/punk mommy aura with my tattered jeans and fitted t-shirts, and I like my accessories to reflect that. The wrist warmers will look perfect this winter, giving me a certain radical chic while all the other mama-jamas stand around the bus stop wearing boring old gloves.


Seriously, though, I liked how these turned out, and they got made very quickly, which is also a plus. I'm hoping to make a matching scarf and maybe even a hat for myself as well. I've never really had a winter hat that I liked, so this would be a first.


The pattern for the wrist warmers, if you're interested, comes from Teach Yourself Visually: Knitting, available on Amazon.com. You can also get it here from Barnes and Noble.

2 comments:

Mich said...

I love hats, hats are easy and a great introduction to knitting in the round (because who wants to seam a hat when knitting in the round is easier?)

In fact I'll probably switch my 'class knitting' to hats once I finish these socks!

Helen said...

I have never had a winter hat that fit me, so I'm very interested in knitting a hat for myself to go with the wrist warmers and scarf. You know I'll be contacting you on that soon!