Monday, March 16, 2009

Move It Mama Monday - I'm Sick!

I have been soooo sick the past week. The cold I picked up right before my trip to Vegas turned into a full-blown sinus infection. I oozed the most disgusting grey-green snot all last week. It was really strange too. I had one day, Wednesday, when I actually felt all right, and I tried to do my normal routine. Then Thursday morning came with a double whammy of leaky sinuses and massive headache and I could barely crawl out of bed. In fact, I believe I declared that day a Blow Off Day and celebrated it accordingly.


I am still not fully recovered - I sound a lot like Donald Duck, I'm so stuffed up - but I am feeling a bit better. But last week, I was led to question the idea of exercising while sick.


If you've never tried the Wii Fit before, it has this little motivational character that looks like the Wii Fit balance board on speed. This cheerful little anthropomorphized tyrant likes to prod users along, urging them to do the Body Test every day, even if you can't find time to exercise. We've had the Wii Fit a month now, and the only days I've missed doing that body test were the days I was in Vegas, and there was just no way possible I could zip across county to do the test (and I sure as hell wasn't carting that thing with me to Vegas!). But otherwise, even when sick and jetlagged, I hopped on the balance board to be weighed and have my balance checked. It was a little discouraging. Wii Fit doesn't care if you're sick and you've decided to starve a fever and stuff your face. However, I realized that if I hopped onto the Wii Fit to do the Body Test, chances where pretty good that I'd stay on at least 10 minutes longer to do the balance games or even a little light cardio (some of the step games are easy enough that even sick, I could do them without getting winded).


I also discovered that just by doing the balance games alone, I could still work up a bit of a sweat. Balancing takes a lot of muscles strength. So I didn't get the full blown workouts I had built myself up to over the last couple of weeks on the Wii Fit, but I did get some exercise in, and that was better than nothing.


Today, I went back to the usual routine - 4 minutes of hula hooping to warm up, 15 minutes of yoga, 20 minutes of cardio, 10 minutes of balance games. The only down side to being sick that I've noticed is that somehow I can no longer do the hula hooping games so well. I'll have to build back up to my original high scores. But I'll get there. And best yet?


I've lost 3 pounds in the last four weeks. Not a huge drop, but a steady one, and if I can keep it up, I'll eventually get back to my ideal weight.


Just in time to get pregnant again ;)

No comments: